The Field Museum
The Field Museum is one of the oldest museums in the United States. It was originally built in 1893 and named the Columbian Museum of Chicago. The purpose was for “accumulation and dissemination of knowledge, and the preservation and exhibition of objects illustrating art, archaeology, science and history.” There are exhibits and programs for all ages. Before you purchase your tickets though, take a moment to check out the tips and coupons listed below. They should help you to save a little extra money off the total cost of your admission to the museum.
Discounts & Field Museum Coupons
- Get the Chicago CityPass which can save you 50% off the top attractions in the Chicago area. This includes your admission to the Field Museum.
- Get the Go Chicago Card and you can save 55% on admissions to over 26 attractions in the Chicago area including the Field Museum with this card.
- Check with the local tour companies. Most offer free admission to the Field Museum with Chicago tour packages.
- Check the Field Museum’s website for free admission days. Usually about once a month the museum will offer free general admission to everyone.
- If you are a teacher or are in the military, you are eligible for an additional discount. In fact, at last check both military personnel and teachers received free admission with valid ID.
- If you are a local resident of Chicago, show your ID and you will receive $4 off your museum ticket.
- If you are a AAA member, show your AAA membership ID and receive $1 off your general admission to the Field Museum.
- Stop by the Chicago Public Library. They offer the Great Kids Museum Passports (thanks to Kraft Foods) which gives you free admission for up to 4 family members.
Chicago Vacation Packages
Check the local Chicago hotels for special packages. Many of them offer free tickets or Field Museum coupons for discount admission with your stay. The Hilton, Swissotel Chicago, Days Inn, Marriott, Best Western, and Broughton Hotel are just some of the hotels offering Field Museum vacation packages.
The museum is open every day (except Christmas Day) from 9am to 5pm. If you are coming to Chicago, you’ll definitely want to set aside some time for the Field Museum (as well as the John G. Shedd Aquarium and the Adler Planetarium, which are located on the same property). There is an additional cost for the special exhibits and 3D film. Parking rates vary depending on which parking lot, time of day, and whether a special event is going on or not.