The South Carolina Aquarium is on the Charleston Harbor and first opened in May 2000. The aquarium is home to over 10,000 plants and animals including river otters, loggerhead sea turtles, alligators, great blue herons, hawks, owls, sea horses, jellyfish, pufferfish, moray eels, horseshoe crabs, starfish, pythons, sea dragons, sharks, and more. There is also a touch tank where visitors can touch horseshoe crabs, Atlantic stingrays, and other marine animals. Also new to the aquarium is Toddler Cove, which is a great place for kids to explore and play while parents can sit and rest. Set aside at least half the day to explore the aquarium. Before you purchase your tickets though, here are some tips for finding South Carolina Aquarium coupons as well as some additional ways to save money on your visit.
Discounts & South Carolina Aquarium Coupons
- If you are a resident of Columbia, Greenville, or Charlotte, show your ID and get $5 off each child’s admission to the South Carolina Aquarium.
- If you are in the military, show your military ID and get $1 off admission to the South Carolina Aquarium.
- If you are a AAA member, show your AAA membership ID and get $1 adult admission and $0.50 off child’s ticket to South Carolina Aquarium.
- If you are an educator in the state of South Carolina, show your ID for $5 off annual membership to the aquarium.
- Purchase your tickets through the South Carolina State Employees Association (SCSEA) and save $4.50 on admission to the South Carolina Aquarium.
- If you are a student, show your student ID for $1 off general admission to the South Carolina Aquarium.
- Check with the Charleston Area Visitors’ Bureau. At last check they had South Carolina Aquarium coupons good for $1 off general admission tickets.
Charleston Vacation Packages
Check the Charleston area hotels. Many of them offer free tickets or South Carolina Aquarium coupons for discounted admission with your stay. The Radisson, Francis Marion Hotel, French Quarter Inn, Harbourview Inn, Comfort Suites, Charleston Harbor Resort, Hampton Inn, Fulton Lane Inn, and Best Western are just some of the hotels that offer South Carolina Aquarium vacation packages. Another good resource for South Carolina vacation packages is the Charleston Area Convention & Visitors Bureau.
The aquarium is open from 9 am – 4 pm daily with extended hours until 5 pm during the summer. Admission to the aquarium is $19.95 for adults, $18.95 for seniors, and $12.95 for kids ages 2-11. Kids under 2 get in free. You can add tickets to the 4D theater for an additional $5. The theater is right next to the aquarium. Group discounts are available for groups of 15 or more people. Currently this comes out to a $4.50 discount for group tickets. Advance purchase is required.
100 Aquarium Wharf,
Charleston, South Carolina 29401